Tuesday, March 11, 2014

GEORGE SCRIBNER

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of taking a 2 day workshop with George Scribner.  Very impressive resume and I have been gawking at his Disney paintings for months for his bold, plein-airish brush work and full rich colors.  George is a wonderful guide into uncomplicated and painless painting.  Check out the transformation of my paintings in such a short period of time.  What I heard from him was (1) VALUES  (2) use the biggest brush possible for as long as possible and (3) utilize a limited palette (of which I had never attempted).

Assignment 1:  monotone sketch, looking for values and bold shapes.

9x12 masonite, gessoed and then grey toned.  Water soluble oil, not a big fan from my first use - takes a lot of water to get them "working", they don't seem to be able to clean from out of your brushes and 2wks later they are still wet.




Assignment 2:  paint still life with full color palette, 9x12 split, smaller space, larger brush




Assignment 3:   9x12 split, limited palettes: left: cad yellow, cad red and ultramarine.  Rt side: yellow ochre, alizarin and ultramarine.  I loved the limited palette and the amount of colors we can pull from them




Linda and The Art Room were great, creative hosts - the best I have experienced AND we got fed lunch both days!




No comments:

Post a Comment